Are you wondering how to start a health coaching business? If so you’re in the right place!
A health coaching business can be a lucrative way to help people achieve their health and wellness goals. Whether you’re a dietitian, nutritionist, integrative wellness professional, chiropractor, health coach, or other medical practitioner, there are a few essential steps to ensure success.
In this blog post, we will outline the steps you need to take in order to start your own health coaching business – the right way!
What is a health coach and what do they do?
A health coach is a professional who helps people make lifestyle and behavior changes to improve their overall health. A health and wellness coach collaborates with the individual’s behavior change process. Unlike the traditional healthcare model, the client is considered the expert in their own body. The coaching experience resembles talk therapy since the sessions are conversations between the coach and the client. The client is in the driver’s seat and ultimately decides on the goals pursued. Health coaches work with clients one-on-one or in group settings to support them reach their goals.
Is there a high demand for health coaches?
The short answer is yes!
With the shortage of primary care doctors, the rise in chronic disease, and the increasing awareness of the importance of preventative care, there is a high demand for health coaches.
Health coaching is a $7 billion dollar industry according to a US Health Coaching Market Report. This number is only expected to grow as more people become aware of the benefits of health coaching.
Not only that, in recent years, more and more people have become comfortable with the idea of virtual health coaching, which means that there is a growing demand for virtual or online health coaches.
For a lot of people, not only is it more convenient to work with a coach online, but it’s also more affordable than traditional options and saves the average patient over $400 a month.
There has never been a better time to start a health coach business, especially for private practice health coaching.
Do health and wellness coaches make good money?
This is a common question, and the answer is yes! Health coaches can make a very good living. In fact, the average health coach makes $61,000 per year and many of my clients are making 6 figures and more as an online health coach.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that how much money you make as a health coach will depend on a number of factors, such as your location, clientele, and the services you offer.
If you’re thinking about starting a health coaching business, I’d encourage you to start! With the growing interest in health and wellness, increased rates of disease controlled by lifestyle, and the increasing public acceptance of online health coaching platforms, now really is the perfect time to start your own coaching business.
What services can you offer as a health coach?
As a health coach, you can offer a variety of services to help your prospective clients improve their health.
These services may include:
- Nutrition education
- Stress management
- Smoking cessation
- Sleep education
- Menopause/perimenopause support
- Weight management support
- Chronic disease prevention & management
- Integrative nutrition coaching
- Education & business coaching
Is it worth it to get a health coach certification?
Many different health coach certifications are available, and the answer to this question depends on your personal goals and preferences.
Your education as a dietitian, nutritionist, integrative wellness professional, or other medical practitioner will give you a solid foundation to start your coaching business. However, if you’re looking to further your education and stand out from the crowd, getting a health coach certification may be worth your while.
My favorite coach training program and organization I highly recommend is Wellcoaches! When I started my private practice as an RDN I invested in the basic certification program (4 months) and the advanced training (1 year); it was life-changing! The instruction was exceptional, and I would do it again just for the experience.
Another highly regarded coach training program I highly recommend is the Functional Medicine Coaching Academy. This award-winning program is affiliated with the Institute For Functional Medicine and is based on positive psychology coaching techniques and functional medicine principles.
While you’re not (yet) required to be a certified health coach to start your own business, I firmly believe it is necessary.
Getting certified through a highly reputable coaching school is a valuable tool to help you attract more clients, stand out from the competition, gain credibility in the industry, and most importantly, provide quality coaching services for your clients.
What are the steps to starting a health coaching business?
There are a few key steps you need to take in order to start a health coaching business.
These steps include:
- Choose your niche and ideal clients
- Find your unique selling proposition
- Develop your business plan
- Create your effective marketing strategy
- Build your health coaching website and online presence
- Create your programs and packages
- Launch your health coaching business
- Start promoting your business to your ideal client
- Create multiple streams of income with online courses and online programs
- Keep learning and expanding your skills
Let’s take a closer look at each of these steps for a successful health coaching business:
1. Choose your niche: The first step to starting any business is to identify your target market and choose your niche.
When starting a health coaching business, you’ll want to consider who you want to work with and what type of services you want to offer – that means choosing a niche. There are a lot of niches to choose from within the health coaching industry.
Some examples include working with:
- Women who are going through menopause
- People with chronic illnesses or pain
- Mindset or mental health
- Addiction and substance abuse
- Busy professionals who want to improve their work/life balance
- People who are struggling to lose weight or gain weight
If you’re stuck for ideas, here’s a list of 35 profitable health & nutrition coaching niches to get your creative juices flowing. While it may seem like a good idea, if you want to create your health coaching niche “from scratch”, you’ll usually find that it’s harder. Every successful health coach I know has tapped into an existing market instead of trying to create a niche that doesn’t exist.
2. Find your unique selling proposition: Once you’ve identified your ideal clients and chosen your niche, it’s time to start thinking about what makes you unique as a coach.
What sets you apart from other health coaches out there?
Do you have a special health coaching certification or training that other health coaches don’t have?
What is your experience and background in the health & wellness industry?
Your unique selling proposition (USP) helps you stand out to your potential clients.
You may want to spend some time doing market research to see how other coaches are helping people achieve their health goals in the same niche and what type of health coaching program they have to offer.
Your profitable health coaching business depends on people hiring you and only you as their health coach. They need to see you as the best solution to the struggles they are facing.
3. Develop your business plan: Every successful health coaching business starts with a solid business plan.
Your business plan will help you map out your goals, strategies, business expenses, business name, and other action steps for making your health coaching business a success.
If you’re not sure where to start, here’s a step-by-step guide to creating a business plan for your health coaching business.
Depending on your business structure, you may need to open a new business bank account, get a business license, and/or get business insurance before you get your first clients.
4. Create your marketing strategy: Marketing is an essential part of any business, and that includes a health coaching practice
Your marketing strategy should be designed to attract your ideal clients and help them understand how you can help them reach their health & wellness goals.
There are a number of different marketing channels wellness professionals and health coaches like yourself can use to reach your target audience.
Some popular marketing strategies include:
- Social media platforms
- Blogging on your own website
- Guest blogging on another website
- Video marketing
- Webinars & online challenges
- Email marketing
- Referral marketing
5. Build your website and online presence: These days, it’s essential for every business to have an online presence, and that includes health coaching businesses.
Your business website is where you’ll showcase your health coaching services, share your story, and attract clients to your health coaching website.
Here are a few tips for building an effective website for your health coaching business:
- Make sure your website is mobile-friendly
- Include testimonials and case studies from your target audience
- Use compelling copy and visuals
- Have informational blogs for search engine optimization (SEO)
- Include an opt-in offer
- Make it easy for visitors to contact you
- Decide if you want advertising space for affiliates
6. Create your programs and packages: Once you’ve built your website and online presence, it’s time to start thinking about creating your health coaching programs and packages.
Your programs and packages should be designed to meet the needs of your target market and help them achieve their health & wellness goals.
When creating your programs, be sure to keep the following in mind:
- What are the results my health coaching clients can expect?
- How long will it take for them to see results?
- What is included in my programs or online courses?
- What type of coaching relationship do I want to have with my clients?
- How much will it cost?
7. Launch your business: Once you’ve created your programs and packages, it’s time to launch your business!
There are a number of different ways you can go about launching your health coaching business.
Some popular options include:
- Hosting a live event
- Running a webinar or webcast
- Doing a soft launch with family and friends
- Offering a free trial or discount
8. Start promoting your business: Promoting your health coaching business is essential for attracting clients and growing your business.
There are a number of different ways you can promote your business, including:
- Social media
- Video marketing
- Webinars & webcasts
- Email marketing
- Referral marketing
9. Keep growing with multiple streams of income.
Don’t rely on just one stream of income for your health coaching business. A thriving health coaching business means you need to diversify your income streams to make sure you’re consistently bringing in money, even if one stream dries up.
Some popular options for diversifying your income include:
- Offering group programs
- Having in-person events
- Creating an online course or coaching package
- Writing an e-book
- Designing a physical product
- Affiliate income
An important part of any online health coaching business is to have a sales funnel in place. A sales funnel is a system that takes your ideal health coaching client from being aware of your business to becoming a paying client.
There are a number of different ways you can set up your sales funnel, but the most important thing is to make sure it’s designed to meet the needs of your ideal client and help them achieve their health & wellness goals.
When setting up your sales funnel, be sure to keep the following in mind:
- What is the end goal of my sales funnel?
- Who is my target market?
- What are their pain points?
- What solutions can I offer them?
10. Keep learning and expanding your skills: As a health coach, it’s important to always be learning and expanding your skills.
This will not only help you better serve your ideal clients but will also keep you excited about your health coaching business.
There are a number of different ways you can keep learning, including:
- Attending conferences and workshops in the health coaching space
- Reading books and blogs
- Listening to podcasts
- Taking online courses
- Hiring a mentor or coach
- Joining a mastermind or coaching program
Many of my coaching programs offer continuing education units (CEUs) that help you fulfill your requirements to maintain your certification.
No matter what stage you’re at in your health coaching business, it’s important to always be learning and growing.
By expanding your skills and knowledge, you’ll be able to better serve your clients and help them achieve their health & wellness goals.
Growing Your Health Coaching Business
When you own a health coaching business, you have the opportunity to make a real difference in people’s lives. By helping them achieve their health & wellness goals, you can help them lead happier, healthier lives.
If you’re ready to take your health coaching business to the next level, then follow the tips in this blog post. By implementing these strategies, you’ll be on your way to growing a thriving health coaching business.
Have a Support Network
When you have people you can rely on for advice, motivation, and inspiration, it’s easier to stay focused and on track.
Your support network can be made up of family and friends, other health professionals, or even online communities like the Multiple Streams of Income for Health Pros community.
Want even more support? Join our mastermind community of successful health coaches, dietitians, nutritionists, and other health & wellness professionals to get access to exclusive content, resources, and discounts. Click here to join now!